Top Five: Rice Dishes
Here at Vigo, we love rice! But many times, people have trouble coming up with new and inventive ideas for meals with rice. Luckily, rice is our specialty and we have an abundance of recipe ideas for our rice varieties. Many of our rices (Black Beans and Yellow Rice, for example) can be eaten just by themselves. But other varieties can also be mixed with other ingredients to make new and exciting meals. Here are our top five ideas to dress up rice!
White and Wild Rice, Oh My!
1 Package- 8oz Vigo White and Wild Rice (Prepared according to package directions - Use butter instead of oil for preparation)
1/2 cup - 2oz. Alessi Pine Nuts, toasted
1 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. Alessi White Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 - 3/4 cup dried cranberries
4 Scallion Greens, sliced
- While the rice is cooking:
Toast the pine nuts. In a small skillet or fry pan add 1 tbsp. of butter and place it on low heat. Toss the pine nuts into the pan and let them heat for about 2 minutes. Be certain to toss or shake the pine nuts often to avoid burning. When the nuts are equally brown in color remove them from the pan and set aside. Lightly salt the nuts, optional.
- Prepare cranberries. In the same skillet used to toast the pine nuts combine Alessi White Balsamic Vinegar, dried cranberries and 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until vinegar is almost absorbed, Set aside.
- When the rice is done add cranberries, pine nuts, sliced scallions and toss. Serve warm.
Yellow Rice and Smoked Sausage
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
8 oz. Smoked Sausage, sliced in ¼" rounds
8 oz. pkg. Vigo Yellow Rice
green peas, canned or frozen (cooked according to pkg, instructions)
Optional: Vigo Roasted Red Peppers, sliced
- Bring 2 cups (16 oz.) water to a boil in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine, package Vigo Yellow Rice and sliced smoked sausage.
- Stir for one minute, cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook undisturbed for 22-25 minutes.
Yellow Rice Stuffed Peppers
6 green peppers
8 oz. pkg. Vigo Yellow Rice
1 Tbsp. Vigo Olive Oil or butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
3/4 lb. ground beef or pork (or combination)
8 oz. can tomato sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare a package of Vigo Yellow Rice according to package instructions
- While rice is cooking, cut and discard the stem end of each pepper and clean out seeds and pith. Blanche peppers by placing in one inch of boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Remove from water and set aside.
- Meanwhile in another saucepan, sauté onions in heated oil or butter. When opaque, add meat, salt and pepper and cook until the meat is browned. Remove from heat, drain liquid and stir in ¾ of the can of tomato sauce. Add cooked rice to meat mixture and gently stir until blended.
- Stuff each pepper with rice/meat mixture and place in a lined baking pan. Heat in a 350 degree oven for 6-8 minutes
1-10 oz. can baby clams, drained but retain liquid
1 lb. frozen shrimp, thawed
4 Tbsp. Vigo olive oil
1 19 oz. pkg. Vigo Paella Valenciana
- In a two-quart shallow saucepan with tight-fitting lid, bring 3 cups (24oz.) of water to a boil.
- Add can of seafood, frozen shrimp and pouch of yellow rice. Return to a boil. Stir while boiling for 1 minute.
- Cover saucepan tightly. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes undisturbed.
Yellow Rice and Chicken
4 Tbsp. Vigo Olive Oil
4 pieces of chicken (legs, thighs, breasts, or wings)
1 10oz. Pkg. Vigo Yellow Rice
½ lemon (optional)
Green peas (optional)
Roasted Red Peppers (pimientos) optional
- Fry chicken in 2 Tbsp. oil until golden on both sides and then set aside.
- In a large saucepan with a tight fitting lid, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add chicken, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbsp oil and bring to a boil. Add package of Vigo Yellow Rice and stir while boiling for one minute. Cover saucepan tightly and let simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove to a serving dish, squeeze lemon juice over the rice and garnish with peas and peppers if desired